Thursday, February 26, 2015

Quilting the green triangles

Last week I mounted my green triangle quilt onto my Swiftquilter frame. I decided only to quilt the white areas and leave the green untouched. I'm hoping this will highlight the green squares. I'm using simple freehand feathers for most of it and some loopy daisies in the white squares and setting triangles on the borders.

So far it's going fine, although in the interest of not stopping/starting (and creating annoying threads to deal with) I have struggled with the transitions between some of the white sections. I know that it will all look fine, but I'm unhappy with a few bits that didn't quite work how I wanted them to. In hindsight, I would have approached some of it slightly different. I did not follow my own advice and test the quilting on a paper version. The feathers are easy, but I should have experimented with moving from one section to the next.

I'm also working on a new quilt that I have done one prototype block and started cutting fabrics. I'm having a sewing day with the Monday Modern girls this weekend and will work on it there - will post when I have a few pictures.

My round robin block has arrived and I'm thinking about the first border for that one. Unfortunately, that project is all secret squirrel until the finished quilts are revealed - so nothing to say there.

Not an exciting conclusion to this post, but sometimes life is like that. Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced this week.

Monday, February 9, 2015

A finished quilt top (finally!)

I can't believe it's been so long since I've posted - but, I have not done much since I was away for a while visiting the US.

This quilt has been on the go for 3-1/2 years. Of course, it's been pushed aside many times and for long periods, but I was determined to get it finished during the summer holidays before I started back at work a week ago. For the whole story, check out previous posts about this quilt here. (Thanks Catherine for taking the pic and sending it to me.)

The finished size is 75" square and it's made up of 3,200 triangles. I haven't bothered to count, but I suspect that there are about 40 green and grey fabrics and a similar number of white/cream fabrics. I did buy quite a few fat quarters when I initially thought of doing a green quilt, but many of the fabrics have been from my stash or were bits from other projects along the way.

I am now working on the back. As usual it is pieced out of necessity. I have a few 1 yard cuts of green and white but am struggling getting it pieced in an efficient and attractive way. Some days I think I should buy a bolt of extra wide fabric and just use it for all my backs.

Hopefully I will be ready to quilt it on the weekend...better check to see if I have a big piece of batting; otherwise, I'm off to the shop one night this week.