Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Monday Modern Hexi-in-a-hexi bee blocks

This past month was my turn to organise a bee block for our Monday Modern group. I've been thinking about hexagons lately but the whole English paper piecing thing is not for me - one hand-sewing project on the go is enough for me. I have had some luck with using 60-degree triangles, so I thought I'd work through using them to make hexagons.

After some playing and some surfing, I decided on a block that results in one hexi inside another. I made this by cutting 2 fabric strips the full fabric width and swing them together. From this I cut the triangles and ended up with two hexagons.

My fabric choices were based on a fab green print that I found. Each hexagon includes a green print and a black & white one. The hexagons have either a green centre or a b&w centre, and I left it up to the maker to select the relative proportions of each fabric.

The hardest part was figuring out how big the triangles should be so that I made the most of the full fabric width. I ended up using 4-1/2" tall triangles which leaves enough fabric for a few extra triangles (just in case). I probably could have gone with a slightly bigger one, but wanted to make sure that if a cut went wonky, there was enough to make another one.

Here are the instructions that I shared with the group.

Most of my blocks are back and I have 3 more sets to receive next month. I think I should have a total of 30 when they are all in. I knew that this block was going to be a challenge for some of the girls, and there were some slightly funny mishaps along the way (too small, too large, 8 sides?). Still, it was fun and I'm looking forward to putting them together.

My plan is to add triangles in between so that can piece in strips. (Imagine the wood in another color.)


I went online and impulsively bought a yard of 'light citron' solid. I was swimming in a sea of celery, honeydew, zucchini, parsley, olive, artichoke, green tea, tarragon (is this a quilt or a salad?) It's tricky matching colors online, but I think is should work. Then again, maybe I don't want to dilute them with a 'background' but will have to contend with the dreaded Y-seam.


This one will have to wait because I am determined to get some other projects finished.

2 comments:

  1. Funny post, truly beautiful and vibrantly fresh quilt! Thanks for the instructions too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors your are using for your hexagon quilt.Nothing wrong with salad, we all need our greens:)

    ReplyDelete